Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tough Year

I can easily say that this year was the toughest year I have had with a group of students. Had I known how easy my first year class was at the time, I would have treasured it more. I worked really hard this year trying to dig as deep as possibile into the lives of these little ones and get them on a better track. I only have two hours left with them this year and part of me feels successful and part of me doesn't. There is one tough cookie that I don't feel I made much progress with but there is another who has come a long way.

The other day we were walking around the track at our school and she told me that the third graders were unlucky because they couldn't have me as a teacher next year. I told her not to worry and that I was sure that the new teacher would be great. She told me I was the only teacher who "got" her. Holding in all my frustrations with her throughout the year somehow paid off. She really appreciates our relationship and it was good to hear. Nevermind the fact that an hour later she was screaming at me and telling me I was so mean. That's just her! In this situation it was two steps forward and only one step back.

I tried really hard this year to give a lot of attention to the kiddos who were always good. I am fully aware that "the good kids" often get much less attention and I hate that. There is a little girl in my class who is absolutely amazing. She wrote me a poem and gave it to me today. So sweet. I'll type it just as she wrote it.

My Dear Teacher

There is a nice teacher in fourth grade
who always comes to her students' aid.
Even though they aren't perfect
and sometimes forget Cause and Effect
her goodness makes all this fade.

There will be a new mom soon
somewhere around July or June.
Her baby boy will be with glee
I guarantee
because his mom is prettier than the full moon.

There is a youngl lady with galore
for she never lets anyone's sadness and anger downpour.
The thing that does this may be her joke,
maybe it's her Coke
Anyway, her love lets any student soar.

How, you may ask, can this all be one person, one mind?
Mrs. Clark is one of a kind!

Thank you Mrs. Clark
From your greatful student,
AA


So sweet! I will definitely miss teaching next year but am so lucky to be able to stay home with my baby boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment