Sunday, April 18, 2010

Garden Woes

I have a lot to be thankful for if a garden (or lack thereof) is what has me the most upset right now! I had big dreams for this spring and my garden. I have wanted a vegetable and herb garden for several years and have attempted containers but was always looking forward to a yard. Now, I have the yard but am having trouble with the garden.

My original plan was to put it on the side of the house but after a couple minutes of digging, found really hard clay. Plan B was to move it to the back yard and put it in an existing bed. Then, while working out there, I realized it didn't get any sun after 12:30. Plan C was to build a raised bed next to the house. It was the perfect spot and gets sooo much sun. I still wanted a raised bed and had plans to build one.

Bryan and I went to Menards (a home store) and priced some wood and bricks. We came home to measure and think some more about our options. Then, in what had to be a holy intervention, we got an ad from Home Depot that had raised garden beds for 39.00!!! Perfect.

We went to look at them after church and decided to come home and re-measure. We went back a few hours later and they were gone. It seems that everyone loved the idea of this!

We had them call another location and we were told they had 8. Perfect. So, we drove to Oswego only to find that they did indeed have 8....of the wrong, more expensive, type of bed. So, we left empty handed and I was sad. It seems as though this garden is just not meant to be. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment